Features of the course and the incubation period of gonorrhea in men and women
Taking into account the fact which organ affected, there are the following types of pathology:
- gonorrhea of genitourinary organs;
- gonococcal proctitis (infection of the anorectal);
- gonorrheal arthritis (inflammation of joints);
- ophthalmia(gonococcal lesion of the conjunctiva);
- gonorrheal pharyngitis (defeat of the mucous membrane of the pharynx).
How is the infection
In women, the chance of Contracting gonorrhea during sex with a sick partner is much higher, ranging from 50 to 80%. Men through contact with infected partner are not infected always, but only in 30-40% of cases. This fact is due to the anatomical features of the male genitourinary system. The probability of infection is increased in men if the sex is when women have menstruation.
Gonorrhea can become infected and domestic, i.e. via shared with the patient personal hygiene – sponges, linen, towels.
What is the incubation period of gonorrhoea
Gonococci possess excellent ability to penetrate mucous membranes of various organs. There they feed, causing inflammation and tissue destruction.
The time that passes from the moment of infection with gonococci prior to the first symptoms, called the incubation period of gonorrhea. This period for each individual. Its duration depends on many factors, namely:
- how many gonococci have penetrated into the body;
- how a person is susceptible to data of pathogenic microorganisms;
- how bacteria aggressive.
The incubation period depends on the sex of the patient, and age. Women have it much longer and ranges from 7 to 14 days, in men – from several hours to 4-5 days. Young people have gonorrhea proceeds rapidly, the incubation period will be shorter. The older the patient, the clinical picture of the disease are less pronounced, sometimes symptoms may not occur, the infection becomes chronic and manifests itself after a few months.
The immune status of an infected person affects the duration of the incubation period. Than the body weaker, the lower its resistance. If the immune system due to various reasons (chronic diseases, constant stress, poor environment) does not work in full force, the symptoms of gonorrhea appear later.
The incubation period may be longer if the patient during infection have been taking any antibiotics to treat otherdiseases, for example angina.
The first signs of infection
For gonorrhea differs by gender. In women, the disease appears less pronounced, and the clinical picture can be confused with other infections. The main symptoms of gonorrhea in women are:
- unusual vaginal discharge;
- menstrual cycle;
- drawing pain in the abdomen;
- itching of the labia and vagina;
- swelling bartolino glands;
- pain during vaginal intercourse.
The disease in men is manifested more vividly. The symptoms are as follows:
- uncharacteristic of colorless or milk-cream, sometimes mixed with blood discharge from the urethra;
- itching in the anus;
- light bleeding or discharge from the anus;
- painful frequent urination.
Gonorrhea is dangerous for its complications (prostatitis, infertility, ectopic pregnancy), so at the first suspicion of infection need to address to the venereologist.