What is a vaginal dysbiosis, how to diagnose and treat
This disease has a few names: bacterial vaginosis, candidiasis, and thrush. Not quite right these terms denote vaginal dysbiosis, because they all are special cases of the same problem. But in spite of this, most women, and some gynecologists, refer to any vaginal discharge with yeast infection, although the true thrush (a large percentage of the fungus Candida in vaginal microflora) is a rare phenomenon.
The causes of dysbiosis vagina
- Hypothermia. This applies both to one-time freezing and a permanent stay in the cold. This factor leads to a decrease in protective functions of the immune system that affects the vaginal flora.
- Failures in a hormonal background. Means irregular sexual life, pregnancy, childbirth, abortion, menstrual cycle, puberty, menopause, etc.
- Journey. The change of the climate zone can dramatically affect the changes in the microflora of the vagina.
- Emotional stresses, and both one-time and stay in a chronic state of stress.
- Frequent change of sexual partners, and dismissive attitude towards contraceptives.
- Any infectious inflammatory the disease in the area of the pelvis.
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
- The administration of antibacterial drugs, especially repeated.
- Intestinal infection, persistent problems with defecation,intestinal dysbiosis. Microflora of the intestine and the vagina are closely linked, because changes in one area can cause changes in the other.
- Improper use of tampons during menstruation. Not all women know that the replacement of the swab should be performed every 2 hours (even at night). It is very uncomfortable, but otherwise increases the risk of infection in the vagina. Moreover, the use of pads reduces the risk of dysbiosis.
But do not think that one of the above reasons will definitely cause vaginal dysbiosis. Our immune system is able to maintain vaginal flora in a normal state. But often a woman can experience a complex of several adverse factors with which the immune system can not cope.
Signs development of vaginal dysbiosis
Dysbiosis is accompanied by an increased amount of vaginal discharge, which acquire an unpleasant odor and a whitish-yellow color. This is the main symptom of dysbiosis. The emergence of other symptoms indicates its complications.
Diagnosis and treatment of problems
To diagnose the presence of dysbiosis vagina is not too difficult, his eyes can spot an experienced gynecologist. But to determine the specific type of dysbiosis doctor takes a smear on flora, bacterial seeding of vaginal discharge and (in some cases) PCR-diagnostics of sexually transmitted diseases.
It is impossible to diagnose the disease only at the smear. It can give an idea about the intensity of violation of the microflora and the nature of inflammation, but only use it when the diagnosis is not enough.
Treatment problems should be directed not to the decision of three tasks:
- Elimination or reduction of the number of bacteria in the vagina.
- The growth of normal bacteria in the vaginal environment.
- Strengthening immune function vaginal walls for the purpose of control of the vaginal microflora.
In most cases treatment of vaginal dysbiosis takes about 3 weeks. This was preceded by a thorough examination of the patient, and when the need arises – examined and her sexual partner. At the end of therapy, the doctor performs a control examination with repeated examination. In the case of successful treatment of the disease the patient will receive recommendations for the prevention of dysbiosis.