Chlamydia: how to recognize illness and prevent relapse and re-infection?
What is this disease?
For chlamydia can inflame all the internal and external genitals. Cells affected by the bacteria Chlamydia Trachomatis, which are the causative agents of chlamydiosis. The result may even develop chronic inflammation of the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries in women. Chlamydia increases the risk of infertility. In men, chlamydia can cause chronic prostatitis and a narrowing of the urethra.
Self-diagnose the disease it is impossible. Moreover, infected, the person often does not notice any symptoms. Chlamydia may look like other sexually transmitted infections. If you suspect the presence of the disease conduct a series of laboratory tests. They will confirm or exclude infection.
The symptoms of infection
In most cases, chlamydia does not manifest itself, but signs that should be cause for a visit to the doctor, exist. The symptoms in women and men have some differences.
- itching in the genital area;
- unusual discharge (e.g., pus);
- drawing pain in the abdomen;
- you may experience pain during sexual intercourse;
- a small discharge of blood in menstruation days;
- discomfort when urinating (pain, burning).
The danger of chlamydia is that during pregnancy they can become infected and the fruit.
High risk of miscarriage and abnormalities in the development of the child. Effectively to cure chlamydia possible only at observance of all requirements during the course of treatment. At the slightest violation of the program, the disease comes again, and to cure it more difficult.
Chlamydia can recur for the following reasons:
- Weak treatment. The bacterium is able to "hide" at the time of therapy and then again to return.
- Failure patients the essential points of the course. The basic rule is abstinence from sexual activity during the course. Both partners need to understand that only by strictly adhering to this rule can cure the disease until the end, and also to protect the lives and health of future children.
- A weak immune system. Fully cured from the disease, at the second meeting with the bacterium infects the person again. His body is more receptive to it.
To avoid the recurrence of chlamydia, you need to completely finish the course of treatment. In the periodtreatment the person is under the influence of drugs, so the disease can occur in a latent form. In this case, it may seem that the disease is cured. This leads to the fact that the symptoms returned.
It is recommended to observe the rules of prevention of sexually transmitted diseases, to prevent re-infection with chlamydia. It is important to carefully consider the choice of sexual partners and to observe the rules of hygiene to prevent the disease to return.
Urogenital chlamydia, V. N. Prilepskaya, P. R. Abakarov, the Scientific center of obstetrics, gynecology and Perinatology, RAMS, Moscow, Consilium medicum, No. 1, vol. 6, 2004.
Urogenital chlamydia, Lebedev V. A. Davydov, A. I. Voprosy of gynecol. of a.... and perinatal. No. 2, vol. 1, 25-30, 2002.