What and how is a prostate biopsy, what are the consequences of the procedure?
Indications for prostate biopsy
There are certain indications that indicate that the patient is assigned to this method microscopic examination of a biopsy of the prostate.
- If during a digital rectal examination revealed a seal. This survey is supplementary and can detect enlargement of the prostate, the presence of seals, and the physician can determine the decrease in mobility relative to the prostatic mucous membrane of the rectum, this method of research is not very painful.
- During the ultrasound was detected hyperechogenic region. This survey gives you the opportunity to accurately determine the size of the prostate and the presence of hyperechogenic and hypoechogenic areas areas, to do an ultrasound does not hurt.
- During the analysis of blood revealed elevated levels of prostate-specific antigen (PSA). It often indicates the development of the patient's prostate cancer. Lately digital rectal examination is performed in conjunction with measurement of the PSA levels.
Most often this disease appears in men after age 65. When is a prostate biopsy in people 40-50 years, only 1% identify the tumor, but when the men of age 60-70 years conduct this study as a prostate biopsy reveals a tumor already 14% of patients. Thus, it becomes clear that the older the patient, the more he will be assigned to a prostate biopsy. If we talk about race, the most predisposed to this disease African Americans, and least of all that of Hispanics and Asians.
The development of the disease can be effects of malnutrition, when men eat too fatty meat and dairy foods. Usually, such people eat enough plant foods, this leads to the fact that they often biopsy of the prostate. Due to the fact that people living in Northern areas, there is a lack of sunlight in the body, less vitamin D than the southerners, they are more prone to developing prostate cancer, and this procedure like a prostate biopsy, it is often.
There are certain factors that cause rapidthe development of cancer and complications in connection with the transition to the adjacent organs. These factors include Smoking, excess weight and a sedentary lifestyle. Once done the prostate biopsy and histological examination, there will be high based on a Gleason score, it is due to the presence of the neoplastic cells and the fact that almost no glandular tissue. Contraindications for biopsy are the presence in a patient of acute prostatitis, an acute inflammation of the rectum and the refusal of a patient from the procedure.
Equipment and performing manipulation
If your doctor after a full survey has taken the decision to do a procedure such as a prostate biopsy, then it should be prepared in advance. This requires that you do the following:
- before the procedure, you must pass all the tests;
- a week before the procedure stop taking antiplatelet agents and anticoagulants;
- 2-3 days stop taking antimicrobials;
- the doctor checks your reaction to medications and latex;
- cleanse the intestines with an enema.
The preparation for prostate biopsy is over and you can move on to the procedure, which is performed transrectally, transurethrally or perineal method. When using the transrectal method, cells take biopsy needle, the access is performed through the rectum. Use transuretralnah method is used rarely, a biopsy of the prostate is performed using endoscope and needle through the urethra.
When using the perineal method in the crotch area make a small incision, through which are sampling the material. In either method, the consequences and the likelihood of injury will be minimal. Method of selection of the material the doctor chooses, but not dependent on it, this procedure is virtually painless, and if you say how much is done, it takes no more than 20-40 minutes. In 2-3 hours after this study the patient go home.
The behavior of the patient after the procedure
After the procedure the patient must follow certain diet and take antimicrobial medicines prescribed by your doctor. Normally, the analysis results are ready in 6-7 days. Evaluation material available to experts on a Gleason score, the balls are exposed from 2 to 10. A small number indicates that the tumor develops slowly, and the large - its rapid development, and a greater likelihood that it will spread to surrounding organs.
There are many myths about prostate biopsy:
- If you do not bother, then do this procedure is not necessary. It is not, prostate cancer for a long time canoccur without symptoms until stage 3, when the treatment is very difficult and ineffective.
- 2. This procedure is painful. If the doctor does the right anesthesia, the biopsy is painless. At the request of the patient and indications can be performed both General and spinal anaesthesia.
- 3. The needle can damage the prostate gland. If the procedure does an experienced doctor, that organ damage occurs. Sometimes it may be developing an infection or you notice blood in the urine, the semen, but it happens very rarely.
- 4. This procedure can trigger the development and spread of cancer. This is not so. When the procedure is due to the special shape of the needle, it is not in contact with other bodies.
- 5. Can cause erectile dysfunction. During the course of this survey usually take 14-20 samples, and in this place may develop some inflammation, but it is immediately relieved by drugs. If the urine or the semen will appear a small amount of blood, it does not lead to erectile dysfunction.
A prostate biopsy is an effective and virtually painless procedure which allows to determine the development of tumors of this body and effective treatment.